Catechesis is a most critical facet of our faith life. Catechesis is more than learning the facts of our faith but more importantly living it in our daily lives. It is the most critical catechesis as it touches all other forms of catechesis.
Catechesis conforms us to Christ in a six critical areas:
1. Knowledge and faith: Scripture and sacred Tradition form the essential elements of our faith. As teachers and as learners, we learn our faith in order to share, witness to the truth, and pass it on to new generations and those we meet.
"Created in God's image and called to know and love him, the person who seeks God discovers certain ways of coming to know him. Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraph 33
“Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ.” St. Jerome
2. Liturgical life: Our participation and understanding of the holy Sacrifice of the mass helps us value the true treasure of Christ’s Church on earth. “The Eucharist is the source and summit of our faith.” Synod of Bishops, 2001
3. Moral formation: With the Bible and the Catechism we learn the importance of Christ’s “new commandment of love – “to love others as he loves us.” “If you love Me you will keep My commandments.” John 14:15
4. Prayer: When we pray together as Christ taught us, we experience the many prayer forms through the church: the Rosary, Lectio Divina, Divine Mercy chaplets and the First Devotions of First Friday and First Saturday – to name a few. “Lord, teach us to pray” [always]" Luke 11:1
5. Communal life: This is the pursuit of an active, adult, and mature faith lived both within the family, within family of Church, and to those of all faiths or no faith. “We support and promote the unity of God’s people as an essential element of our fidelity to the gospel.” Our Hearts Were Burning, paragraph 95
6. Missionary Spirit: By cultivating an evangelizing spirit, we witness to our faith in Christ both in word and deed. As St. Francis of Assisi said, “Preach the gospel at all times, and when necessary use words.” We need not be preachers to spread the Word!
These facets of catechesis offer all of us at various stages of life an opportunity to participate in both learning and teaching, and to enter into a life long learning about Christ and ourselves.
This part of the website explores the areas of the worldwide web that will help us in our journey of faith and encourage us as we seek to deepen our faith.