School in the Parish
St Peter’s Catholic Primary School
Dorset Avenue, Romford, RM1 4JA
Telephone No: 01708 745506
Fax No: 01708 760191
School Office hours: 8.30am-4.00pm
Headteacher: Mrs Jenny Waterfield
Chaplain: Fr Tom Jordan
Chair of Governors: Mrs Siobhan Marshall
St. Peter’s (formerly St. Edward’s) Roman Catholic junior mixed and infants school, Dorset Avenue. It was a single form entry school, accepting 30 pupils into the Reception class each year. As of September 2016 it has become ‘two form entry’, accepting 60 pupils each year. The school was founded in 1856 in buildings adjacent to St Edward’s Catholic Church, Park End Road and was known by the parish name – St Edward’s. In 1968 the school took possession of its new buildings in Dorset Avenue, opening with the new name of St Peter’s to distinguish us from our friends and neighbours, St Edward’s C of E School. The school maintains a strong relationship with St Edward’s Catholic Parish as laid down by the Diocese.
In 1852 there was a Roman Catholic school at Romford with 19 children. A permanent school for 58 was built in 1856 in St. Edward’s (later Laurie) Square. It was receiving annual government grants from 1880. In 1892 it was rebuilt for 112. Attendance rose slowly from 24 in 1880 to 67 in 1911. The school was granted Aided status in 1951. It was reorganized in 1954 for juniors and infants. In 1968 it was renamed and moved to new buildings in Dorset Avenue.
By the year 2020 we will have 360 children in the school. The school aims to provide an education, which takes place in a Christian caring community. In partnership with parents and parish the aim is to create a Christian atmosphere where the ethos and the teaching of the Catholic Faith permeates all aspects of school life. Click here to visit the school web page and find out more.
For a listing of all Catholic schools in the Brentwood Diocese please click here.
“Faith means putting up with God’s incomprehensibility for a lifetime”
Karl Rahner Jesuit German Theologian